In 1888 a rowdy, Colorado City resident named Prarie Dog O’Byrne (so named because of the prarie dog running in a wheel on the back of his wagon) purchased two bull elk and hitched them to his carriage. He named the elk Thunder and Buttons. O’Byrne and Laura Bell, another infamous West Side character from the red light district, would race the elk drawn carriage up and down Colorado Avenue and down into the heart of Colorado Springs — causing an upset to the gentry. O’Byrne sprent most of his time carousing in the 21 saloons lining Colorado Avenue what is now “Old Colorado City”. In 1978, a local historian told this story to a young entrepreneur who purchased one of the old saloons on Colorado Avenue. He decided to name his new “saloon and eatery” after the two elk. Thunder and Buttons was born. A fire closed the doors to the original restaurant and bar in 1989. Thunder and Buttons II was established in 2004. The current owners purchased the business in September of 2010 and continue the tradition of Thunder and Buttons today. We would love to welcome you to come in, kick back, try our made from scratch food, have a drink and relax!
Join us on Sunday’s for one of the best brunch menus on the Avenue! Served Sunday’s from 11 AM – 2PM. Served with a free mimosa! (21+ ONLY)